Patriotism is a personal commitment for American Legion Auxiliary members. We place great importance on community involvement and responsible citizenship.
The Auxiliary has conceived and implemented hundreds of programs for veterans, their families, young people and the community at large. Many programs have been expanded and now are commonly accepted institutions within the community and nation. So deeply ingrained are such programs that the subtle guiding hand of the Auxiliary is often not recognized.Few people realize that:
- The Auxiliary and the Legion are often centers for community and civic activities in mid-America, and provide a focal point for citizens' involvement.
- The Auxiliary raises more than $18 million every year and reinvests those funds in VA medical centers and community programs.
- Thousands of hours are devoted to crime prevention programs, instructing children, the elderly and the general public on safety, crime prevention and protection within the community.
- Auxiliary volunteers are the backbone of assistance in the 171 VA Medical Centers.
They not only provide diversion and entertainment for patients, but assist the hospital staff in physical and psychological therapy, clerical and many other duties that would otherwise cost American taxpayers millions of dollars.
The Auxiliary deals with issues such as drug and alcohol abuse, missing and abused children, teen suicide and teen pregnancy. Its services touch the lives of all Americans directly or indirectly. More than 20 nationwide programs receive support and financial aid from the American Legion Auxiliary.The mission of the American Legion Auxiliary is:
- To support the American Legion programs for veterans, young people, and community
- To provide for today's needs while being advocates for a brighter future
- To advance the understanding of patriotism and responsibility of citizenship
- To promote individual integrity and family values
- To ensure as volunteers, that Auxiliary members continue to be the leaders in all that is good in this nation today, tomorrow and for generations to come through serving others first and not self.